[GNUz] GNU/Linux ...

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:46:33 +1200

 From the FSF/GNU web pages, we find this reasonable comment :-

<quote>
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
People who know they are using a system that came out of the GNU Project
can see a direct relationship between themselves and GNU. They won't
automatically agree with our philosophy, but at least they will see a
reason to think seriously about it. In contrast, people who consider
themselves "Linux users", and believe that the GNU Project "developed
tools which proved to be useful in Linux", typically perceive only an
indirect relationship between GNU and themselves. They may just ignore
the GNU philosophy when they come across it.
</quote>

Here's a provocative question for you - given the above statement,
shouldn't RMS be pushing for *everyone who chooses the GPL* to be
referred to as "GNU/<name>" ?

Picking solely on Linux as the recipient of "you must mention GNU"
comments sounds too much like sour grapes. Perhaps the GPL should have
included an advertising clause, like the BSD licenses?

-jim