[onerng talk] Muon detection RNG ...

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Wed Jan 22 20:09:16 GMT 2020

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 8:52:40 AM NZDT bsr wrote:
> Looks pretty neat!  No extra radiation source needed, although the bit rate
> is a bit slow.
>
> I found one a while ago that I thought was interesting.  Seems quite dated
> but still doable.  Doesn't look 100% open source but the main chip gets put
> on hold after initializing the LNB.
>
> http://www.schlaupelz.de/TRNG/Highspeed_TRNG.html

OneRNG provides this as a secondary noise source - essentially we have a
802.15.4 2.5G receiver and we tune around looking for clear  (not wifi)
channels (moving regularly at random times) and digitise the LSBs of the noise
from the unlocked demods. It actually makes (very slightly) better quality
noise than the avalanche noise source (largely I think because the avalanche
source sometimes creates very large avalanches).

But naturally people are leery about using an outside noise source so we don't
enable it by default - there's a mode that mixes both sources which I
personally think is the best choice.

	Paul