OneRNG issue with Ubuntu Zesty 17.04

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Tue Oct 3 21:43:02 BST 2017

Just a quick note - we've discovered a problem with Ubuntu Zesty-Zapus 17.04.

Essentially it's a systemd/udev problem, Ubuntu now starts udev (the daemon
that responds to USB devices being inserted) before the root filesystem has
been mounted read-write - that means that all UDEV scripts, like the one that
OneRNG uses to start the RNG daemon on device insertion, cannot write to
anything, especially system lock files, even long after the system has
started.

Fixes:

   - there are no perfect fixes, we've filed a bug with Canonical

Work arounds:

   - if you want insertions to work AFTER the system has booted you can enter

		sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

     which restarts UDEVD - it will then work correctly

   - if you want your system to start a OneRNG that is permanently inserted
	 at start time you can add the following to /etc/rc.local

	    /sbin/onernd.sh daemon ttyACM0

     change ttyACM0 to the TTY your particular device is assigned at boot time

   - there is no reliable workaround that works for both these situations

As far as we know there are no issues with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

	Paul