[onerng talk] More detailed instructions needed

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed Jun 17 08:21:51 BST 2015

On 2015-06-17 09:44, technosf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just got my onerng - woohoo  & thank you!
>

> Now trying to get it working on Arch and systemd (two of my favorite things).
>
> I took the tarball and installed and have the device at:
>     /dev/ttyACM0
>
> Now trying to verify and test it...
>
> I modified the base udev rule as the onerng.sh ened up in /usr/bin instead of /sbin, and testing the rules with udevadm test I get:
>
>     unable to open device '/sys/dev/ttyACM0'

That should be without /sys, as per the above.

Do make sure you did a 'udev reload' btw.

> onerng_verify.py errs out with:
>     File "/usr/bin/onerng_verify.py", line 86, in <module>
>         with open(sys.argv[1], 'rb') as f:
>   IndexError: list index out of range

This requires a single argument:

onerng_verify.py /dev/ttyACM0

Note btw that the onerng package for Debian (and likely the other
Linux-based platforms) primarily provides udev rules.
This thus to make live easier.

If one knows one only has one ttyACM<x> device, one can also just pass
/dev/ttyACM0 in /etc/default/rngd or the location where rngd gets started.

The udev scripts provided effectively start rngd with the right param.
Which is useful, but static definition works too.

Greets,
 Jeroen