[onerng talk] *****SPAM***** BOM Information

Gerd v. Egidy lists at egidy.de
Sat Jan 3 14:51:19 GMT 2015

> What's with the AP3105 20V source. They don't make the AP3105 it in a
> SOT-23-5 package.
>
> Is that actually some kind of switching/linear reg of different part number?

The AP3105 is a pwm controller designed for ac/dc flyback regulators - that
doesn't make sense here.

Most probably it is a typo and the AP3015 is meant: that is a dc/dc step-up in
SOT23-5.

When looking at the schematic I see a problem with it's use though: The
shutdown pin is tied to 3V3. That means the regulator starts as soon as the
onerng is connected to usb and gets power. The AP3015 will draw 350mA during
startup to bring the 1 µF cap up to 20V.

That is not allowed by the usb spec.

You are only allowed to draw a max of 100mA until the usb device is enumerated
and the host controller actively grants the higer power. You should have
connected the shutdown pin to the CC2531 (and a pulldown resistor) and only
activate it when the usb is successfully enumerated. Also when the device is
suspended by the usb bus, you are only allowed to draw 2.5mA, which you'll
probably blow with the active stepup. So another reason to make it switchable.

This setup will probably still work on most computers. But it is not good
design.

I'd switch to the AP3015/A which is limited to 100mA input, that should be
well enough for this circuit. Since you'll charge up the input capacitors at
the same time, you'll most probably still violate the 100mA spec. But not as
bad as with the AP3015.

Kind regards,

Gerd