[onerng talk] FreeBSD

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Mon Apr 13 21:19:30 BST 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 07:22:01 sd wrote:
> It doesn't look like the OS can talk to the device. I get the following in
> dmesg.
>
> umodem0: <Moonbase Otago httpwww.moonbaseotago.comrandom 00, class 2/0, rev
> 2.00/0.09, addr 2> on usbus3 umodem0: data interface 1, has no CM over
> data, has break
> umodem0: at uhub0, port 4, addr 2 (disconnected)
> umodem0: <Moonbase Otago httpwww.moonbaseotago.comrandom 00, class 2/0, rev
> 2.00/0.09, addr 2> on usbus3 umodem0: data interface 1, has no CM over
> data, has break
> umodem0: at uhub0, port 4, addr 2 (disconnected)
>
> Nothing I send to the device gets any response. The device works great on
> Linux so I assume the FreeBSD kernel is doing something wrong.

ACM devices do lots of different things, in particular - they are modems and
network devices - onerng is trying to be a dumb serial line - which means it
largely ignores modm control (but honours it where possible)

I'm pretty sure freebsd does more traditional unix style modem management - is
there a corresponding 'callout' device there (one that expects to ignore modem
control) /dev/cuaU0 or some such that you can access the device through?

	Paul