Starting rngd on Debian

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Tue Sep 2 04:03:18 BST 2014

The current .deb for OneRNG uses udev's RUN+ function to start the script
that runs rngd, but current udev incarnations kill all spawned pids on
exit. So the current script hacks by invoking itself a second time using
at(1).

There should be a better way to do this; I found
http://blog.fraggod.net/2012/06/16/proper-ish-way-to-start-long-running-systemd-service-on-udev-event-device-hotplug.html
which might offer something.

However, I'd suggest that the 'better' way it to just make rng-tools a
package prerequisite, then edit /etc/default/rng-tools and change
HRNGDEVICE to point to the new device, then restart rngd. On removal, we
could revert the change.

Alternatively, force the OneRNG to have a more singular /dev filename, and
leave /etc/default/rng-tools pointing to it; sadly then if the OneRNG is
removed the rngd becomes useless :-(

Any suggestions?

-jim