Interesting project: JackPair

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Fri Sep 5 03:50:56 BST 2014

Just spotted (via Schneier) an open source, openhardware(soon) security
product called JackPair kickstarting - which will probably be closed by the
time you read this!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/620001568/jackpair-safeguard-your-phone-conversation

Basically, it's a hardware audio shim that negotiates opportunistic
encryption with a remote JackPair device, paying attention to the audio
codecs that it uses to defend against GSM compression (although they don't
talk about that until very deep in the FAQ)

Nice to see that it has reached its price goals. It will be interesting to
see what happens next year when they might be product-ised ... :-)

(No, I did not back it - I was very tempted but decided to wait to see what
the production item looks like)

-jim