LCA presentation will be on a Thursday ...

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Thu Sep 25 04:46:04 BST 2014

http://lca2015.linux.org.au/schedule/30079/view_talk?day=thursday

OneRNG - An Open and Verifiable hardware random number generator

Announced at LCA2014, the NZ-based OneRNG project has created an affordable
and verifiable Open Hardware and Open Source entropy generator and RNG,
presented as a USB device.

In this presentation the creators of the project will demo the device, and
discuss the hardware, firmware and OS software. We will also cover trust,
distrust and paranoia.

Thursday 15 January 2015, 13:20 - 14:05, OGGB4. There will almost
definitely be live video streaming ...

But I'll have to finish *on time* so I can run over to the next session in
a different room ... where Peter Gutmann will tell you that simply having
the OneRNG isn't enough ...

Crypto Won't Save You Either

Cryptographer Adi Shamir, the 'S' in RSA, once said that "cryptography is
bypassed, not penetrated". In the light of the Snowden revelations about
the NSA, various people have proposed using crypto in order to evade NSA
surveillance. This talk tries to put that into perspective, looking at ten
years of trying to secure things with crypto that ultimately failed, not
through anyone bothering to break it but because it was much easier just to
bypass it. The lesson from all of this is that you can't just throw crypto
at something and assume that that will make you safe.

-jim