The world's (other) most secure TRNG

waywardgeek waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:15:07 BST 2014

Hi, guys.  I'd rather work with you guys than alone on my own!  I'm trying to convince people to stop using saturating amplification (multiplication) to amplify their noise sources, and instead to use modular multiplication.  That's the whole idea behind an Infinite Noise Multiplier.

You just take any source of noise, like a zener or thermal, and as you amplify it, compare the signal to Vref, and if it's too big, subtract out Vref, or some fraction of it.  Since noise may have to be amplified by a factor of a millon or even a billion, this comparison and modulo operation have to be done man times.  I do it with two back-to-back sample-and-hold circuits with a 2X multiplier in between so I can use the same amplifier as many times as needed to amplify the noise source.  If you imagine a string of them unrolled, maybe 30 or so of them, each multiplying by 2, and subtracting out Vref if needed, you can see out it works.

Bill