[onerng talk] The world's (other) most secure TRNG

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Tue Sep 30 06:49:52 BST 2014

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:08:38 Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Shipping in (from) China is truly inscrutable.  You buy a part for $1.27 and
> the shipping is free (that is, built into the price), it takes two weeks
> between it being marked as shipped and anything actually happening, and
> then you get it a few days later.  I've asked several Chinese friends how
> this can work and they have no idea even after having lived in the country
> for thirty- odd years.  My only guess is that they ship stuff at a loss and
> make up for it in volume...

no they are just very efficient at shipping, and the volumes are enormous ...  a
lot of stuff is shipped out of Hong Kong, there's an entire border crossing in
Shenzhen that just takes semi-trailers for mail

Remember most of the cost is at the other end and international postal
treaties say the each country is obligated to deliver for free any package
handed to them by another country - the assumption is that it all averages out
... but with the current volume pouring out of China some country's Post Offices
are crying "foul"

A lot of other stuff is air-freighted out, shipping by sea is cheaper but
apparently harder - not the actual shipping part but the getting stuff on and
off the docks, apparently it involves the exchange of "red packets" with
various shady types.

	Paul