[onerng talk] The world's (other) most secure TRNG

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Sun Oct 12 03:18:41 BST 2014

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 21:55:54 Bill Cox wrote:
> It's very low-speed, but I think secure.  I'm sure anyone with any
> experience could tell me the 100 things I got wrong on this tiny design.  I
> welcome such feedback.

so some minor suggestions:

- the circuit board etch USB pug  idea is cheap and cool - but it's is
terribly unreliable (everyone with one of my programmers that use this rightly
complains) - I've switched to proper plugs (SMT plus 2 thru holes) - for what
you're doing you need to tape your board out in 2mm thick board (2.2-2.4 if
you can) with ENIG plating, and even then you'll usually need a bit of masking
tape on the back of the connector to stop it falling out of some sockets

- I prefer to lay down ground planes on both sides and have Eagle take care of
them- in Eagle create a polygon on each side then name it 'gnd' the click the
flow (ratsnest) button - personally for my RNG there are NO traces on the
bottom under the analog portion, it's all shield - drop vias where possible to
stitch the two planes, and drop vias next to ground pins on ICs

(your analog world may require more of an audio approach to grounding - you
can create split ground planes pretty easily using this technique)

- you can likely get away with much much smaller vias (check the eagle layout
file you got from your board house - I typically use .35mm) - ideally you want
them small enough that they get tented with solder mask

- looks you probably don't have the layers on that handle component
restriction layers - that's OK for something you're planning on assembling by
hand - a P&P machine might run into trouble (just a guess from eyeballing it)

	Paul