[onerng talk] Putting Inf Noise on Tindie in non-competitive way?

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Wed Oct 29 05:58:41 GMT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:13:00 Carl Perry wrote:
> Sharing a device between multiple VMs is something I've been looking at
> too. Are you using KVM or some other hypervisor?

We're more at the point of "there's this question that people are starting a
lot", I suspect that for each hypervisor there's going to be a different
solution and we'll have to mostly provide support to out end users pointing to
them

> I ask because KVM has
> virtio-rng in later releases which handles this nicely:
>
> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/Features-Done/VirtIORNG
>
> I've started doing some testing with a TrueRNG device and the results
> have been promising. I'm hoping to provide this capability to customers
> in a forthcoming VPS product I'm developing...

sounds like feeding virtio-rng would be pretty trivial.

We think of ourselves more as an entropy device (not a full random number
generator) we've been encouraged by those who know better than us to expose
the raw bitstreams, warts and all and let whitening mostly happen downstream
(we do a little, if you want, mostly for convenience). In linux by default we
simply feed that data into the kernel entropy pool and let the kernel rng do
the work for us - that means that largely existing apps don't need a special
API to benefit of our hardware.

So feeding virtio-rng  from /dev/random as described in the docs above is all
you need if you load up the default install for OneRNG

	Paul