[onerng talk] A message of support

Paul Warren pwarren at pwarren.id.au
Wed Jan 29 23:40:30 GMT 2014

On 30/01/14 09:38, Paul Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:17:01 Paul Warren wrote:
>> I'm not sure if a kickstarter is the direction the OneRNG project
>> is heading, but Robert Ghilduta from Nuand.com (BladeRF SDR
>> peripheral) is very interested in the OneRNG project, and has
>> asked me to pass on the  message hat he'd be happy to send a
>> message to BladeRF kickstarter backers if OneRNG should do a
>> kickstarter.
>
> I think that's the direction I'm heading in, I need to get working
> parts to Beta testers before I announce on Kickstarter -
>
> I have working code using the stock Linux drng daemon (/dev/random
> starts making numbers at a nice rate) Some help with Mac/Windows
> integration would be useful (hint hint).

Heh, you've got the wrong guy :) I've never developed for windows. I
believe for OS X it's reasonably simple, just write entropy to
/dev/random. But I'll have to research that a bit more! I know it's a
little different in philosophy from linux. In OS X /dev/random will,
given enough entropy in the system entropy pools, produce
cryptographically secure pseudorandom numbers using the Yarrow PRNG.
So, once it's going, it never blocks.

> Currently the board firmware is all written but but not all tested
> in particular I haven't turned on the alternate randomness source
> (RF sniffer) and characterised it.
>
> I'm thinking of structuring a kickstarter somewhat along the lines
> of:
>
> 1st level: Chinese manufactured  OneRng in volume ($50) 2nd Level:
> Self manufactured OneRng ($100) (limit 350) 3rd level: Self
> manufactured OneRng plus programmer ($150) (limit 50)
>
> The numbers are just vague guesses at the moment - I have a small
> pick and place machine and can knock out small manufacturing runs -
> if the kickstarter were successful the "self-manufactured" parts
> would likely have a ~6 week turnaround while the Chinese
> manufactured parts are more likely to be ~3-6 months. So the
> premium is how quickly you get one.

That certainly sounds reasonable! I've supported a few kickstarters,
but never run one myself, I can get you in touch with Robert if you'd
like.

> The programmer/OneRNG combo is for the person who wants to take the
> published open source code and hack on it to their heart's content
> - it's the same programmer, or its replacement (which the OneRNG is
> based on) shown at http://www.moonbaseotago.com for our slowly
> unfolding RF projects

Ooh, that's what I'll need ;)  I've got an empty git repository
waiting for me to start coding a firmware for the OneRNG! I've no idea
where to start really, but I'll figure it out!

I'm currently attempting to get my rtl-entropy[1] code into a more
modular state, so that input sources can be changed easily, or mixed
together if you have more than one, and so that different tests and
debiasing methods can be used at will. The idea being that you can get
the entropy out to do external testing on at any point in the chain,
from raw samples through to fully debiased and encrypted output mixed
from all sources.

Anyways, looking forward to hacking :)
- --
Paul Warren.