Windows info

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Sat Dec 27 10:00:34 GMT 2014

>From the recent reddit thread this turned up ...

"""
[–]jib 4 points 2 days ago
I don't know anything about Windows development, but...
Applications will get random numbers with CryptGenRandom (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379942.aspx). In Windows Vista and later, I think this is implemented as part of CNG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_CryptoAPI).
cng.sys manages the entropy pool and contains some not-officially-documented functions such as EntropyRegisterSource; see http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140sp/140sp1328.pdf .
Maybe you could write a driver that uses these functions to inject entropy into Windows' pool, enabling unmodified applications to make use of the OneRNG.
"""

As usual, I haven't read it yet :-) but will do soon enough.