[chbot] EV RUC reduction petition

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Sat Mar 2 06:06:46 GMT 2024

> Why should RUC for EVs be any less than RUC for diesels?

Many many years ago someone who had worked with roading through his uni
degree said that 97% of road damage was from big trucks, the rest from
cars. To me that means RUCs for road repairs should be paid by anything
like above 10 tons and forget about the small fry because that just
lines the cash collector's pocket and wastes every car driver's time for
negligible gain.

Similarly I'm not sure going to lengths to exempt the lawn mower petrol
is good use of parliament's time.

However, incentivising sustainable options is a sensible approach to
shifting balances.