[chbot] Urgent help with disk partitioning

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 23:37:52 BST 2023

I'm replacing a failed disk in my raid array but I can't get it to show the
partition data the same as the other 2 disks.
SDA and SDD are the OK drives and they display (under both parted and
fdisk) a primary partition with no filesystem. The new one is SDC
If I try to create a primary partition on SDC both apps  create a
filesystem (fdisk type 83, parted ext2 - didn't check type).

Anyone know the magic sauce?

Model: ATA ST3000DM001-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
 1      1049kB  3001GB  3001GB               primary

Model: ATA ST3000DM008-2DM1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End  Size  File system  Name  Flags

Model: ATA ST3000DM001-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 3001GB

--
Robin Gilks