[chbot] Lazy and Blue tooth

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 20:57:11 GMT 2023

The most important thing to start with is understanding the difference
between Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth LE.

For what you are talking about either can be made to work.

The biggest difference between the two is (hand wavey) that:
* BT Classic sets up connections called RFCOMM sockets which provide
multiple serial-port-like connections. These might be just raw RFCOMM
(akaa serial) skates or they can have higher level protocols on top
(eg. networking, OBEX etc),
* BLE is designed more for quick exchanges of relatively small packets
(though there are ways to make a longer term transport on top of
that). The most frequently used protocol is GATT and GAP. These
provide a way of publishing "database records". This is commonly used
for applications such as medical appliances, battery monitoring etc.

I would think that BLE is the "perfect" choice for your application,
but Classic could work.

The chipsets are generally not interchangeable.

One of the handy boards for playing with BLE is the Nordic dongle:
https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/products/detail/nordic-semiconductor-asa/NRF52840-DONGLE/9491124

This board plugs into USB and can be used as a dongle on a PC, as well
as being used stand alone.
Since the microcontroller is built into the radio module, that is all
you need. It has ADCs etc.