[chbot] Borrow Saab Tech2 scanner (or equivalent)

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 05:14:11 BST 2023

This morning I tried to start my Saab 93 but the battery was just a bit too
low.
I put another battery on it but now it reports "Steering lock malfunction"
when the key is inserted and the key won't turn.

Three possible culprits:

   1. ISM - Ignition Switch Module
   2. CIM - Column Integration Module
   3. SCL - Steering Column Lock

The ISM sees the key, tells the CIM which checks the key code and then asks
the SCL to unlock the steering. If the SCL is happy it reports back to the
CIM which then unlocks the key so it can turn (which in turns allows the
gearshift to be unlocked and get it out of Park - can't even tow it!!)

Done the usual of checking fuses but 2 standouts

   1. The steering is unlocked with no key (normally locked when the key
   removed)
   2. No key error (i.e the key code is OK)

This makes me think that the SCL has physically failed in the unlock
position but as you can imagine it is not the easiest of things to remove.
I'd like to scan for error codes to see which of the modules is complaining.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks