[chbot] [OT] SSD for a Pi 400.

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sun Jan 24 03:00:47 GMT 2021

Hi Volker..

These are the ones I'm using:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CABSTT2557443/StarTech-USB3S2SAT3CB-USB30-to-25-SATA-HDD-Adapter

They do support full smart functionality.

There is a long thread somewhere on the RPi forums about which adapters
work, but my google-foo is letting me down at the moment.

The ones that didn't boot reliably for me were Orico (The clear plastic
external enclosures) and ones shucked from Seagate enclosures.  They
worked fine as just an attached disk, but will not boot reliably on the
Pi4, even though they work Ok on the PI3 using the 'bootcode.bin'
broadcom bootloader.

The other issue I've had is under-voltage warnings with some SSDs, FYI...

The Pi 4 is only good for 1.2A combined on all four USB ports and some
SSD's peak over that.  The disks I've had problems with there were
Samsung EVO 850's and an Adata SP900.  With the Kingson A400 I'm running
the 120G for boot and a 5400rpm 1TB shucked Seagate one one of the pis
with no under voltage warnings.  I'm powering my Pi's directly from the
GPIO pins from a 450W ATX PSU as well which helps, running off the USB C
I've never had a two-disk setup work reliably.  Up side is more usable
power, down side no polyfuse / protection so if you're going to take
that path you should know what you're doing...

The Pi 4 fixes the single-bus issue.  The Ethernet and USB (2x3 and 2x2
on the Pi4) are now on separate PCI lanes.  Using a Pi4 as a NAS you can
saturate the Gigabit NIC from an SSD connected to the USB3 even running
ZFS or BTRfs which can both be a pig over USB.  (Can't recommend BTRfs
on Pi4/USB though, had some weird there, switched to Ubuntu 64bit to get
ZFS, no issues so far, touch wood)

That Transcend disk is a good price but I was looking for SSD's I could
use in other places if my pi-cluster didn't work out. :-) As it happens
the 4xPi4 Cluster is has made a very usable replacement for a SFF i7
desktop that was running VMs / containers which gives me a meaningful
power saving so now I'm looking at building it a cute custom case as
well. :-)

- Chris H.