[chbot] [OT] SSD for a Pi 400.

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sat Jan 23 23:55:40 GMT 2021

Afternoon,

The limitation on performance for the MicroSD is capped by the (SPI?)
bus speed into the at about ~20MB/s tops, and it's got a queue depth of
one, so quite limited IOPs.

If you want to make the MicroSD go faster you could over-clock the bus
for it on the Pi3, which worked with good MicroSD cards. I've not seen
mention of it for the Pi4 but you're far better off to set up USB mass
storage boot to a USB 3.0 connected SSD.

I've been running a 'pi cluster' for a few months using Pi 4's USB
booting off Kingston A400 SATA SSDs using Startech USB adaptors and they
perform really well.

Just be aware that some USB adaptors will not mass-storage boot on the
Pi4..  Pretty much anything works on the Pi3 from my messing around over
the last couple of years.

- Chris H.