[chbot] What board and OS to use

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 08:49:09 GMT 2021

Hi Wallace,

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08796NB62

Several reviews seem positive; main criticism seems to be speed, but
since you are building a collection of independent G-code (or the like)
processors your choice seems reasonable (much as I hate the Celeron).

Trimmed down Win7 also makes sense to me. I have a (commercially)
trimmed down copy of XP around here; it occupies 98MB of RAM, and runs
quite well for moderate tasks, even on a converted thin client.

If you need keyboard and mouse per station, have you considered using
older laptops ?

If not, then possibly orchestrate your collection of headless machines
via RDP from a central machine with keyboard and mouse over WiFi - RDP
isn't likely to be very burdensome for your application, and main
payload is G code. I would have thought you would only be using RDP for
progress and status monitoring once a job has been launched.

Anyway, keen on your approach and please keep us updated on progress.

Regards,

Mark