[chbot] Raspberry Pi data logger.

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 17 12:15:16 BST 2021

Hi Starr,

You should be able to source a current clamp with required isolation
voltage. Given this, I rather like Andrews idea of taking the AC output
of the CT and either rectifying and smoothing, or (if the output is low
amplitude) voltage doubling. This DC can then be directly fed into one
of the PI logic inputs to indicate pump running or not.

I am happy to help with circuit design if you can find out the RMS
voltage from the CT when it drives a 33 ohm load, and the pump is
running. Also worth checking any residual RMS volts when the pump is idle.

Also need to know the logic threshold of the input to your PI.

Given your background as a professional electrician, I don't think we
need to worry to much about your safety with this project.

In terms of software, have a look around for an existing data-logger
package for the PI, and some suitable way of displaying the results that
are meaningful to you. You can test this setup with a switch and a pull
up resistor initially.

The PI has a built in file system, and plenty of easily accessible
storage, but as Darren points out, you can't just pull the plug when
switching it off. Having said that, it shouldn't be too difficult to
float charge a small lead acid battery, then regulate the output down to
5V (PI main power) and gracefully close down the PI if mains is lost.

One step at a time; explore the PI before changing horses !!

Regards,

Mark