[chbot] spark eroder power supply

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 28 21:34:13 GMT 2020

Hi Graeme,

Not sure where Warren came up with the 30V figure from; magnetrons used
in microwave ovens use transformers on the 2,000V range. I will talk to
Warren Monday about this; most odd.

** so please don't buy any microwave transformers **

Andy's suggestion of 70V transformers from a large UPS is interesting.
Given their power level, just wondering if small enough units would be
available. 24V and above usually(?) for UPSs above 2kW(?) and you only
need 750VA of iron.

In terms of wiring transformers together, obviously make sure that only
the primary is attached to mains, the connect the secondaries in series.
In phase will give you a multiple output, out of phase will give you a
partial output. No harm should occur if you have the secondaries in
series, but out of phase.

Just to re-iterate, please do not go with the microwave oven transformer
option unless you intend removing the secondary and rewinding it by hand
using (much) thicker wire.

Just out of interest, what is your budget for 70VAC, 10A of transformer?

-Mark

PS please update subj line if you are taking this from the Digest Feed.
You can get real-time updates from this group by changing your email
preferences within the email reflector.