[chbot] Where to buy a new laptop

Darran Lee darran at nzllive.com
Tue Jul 14 08:50:39 BST 2020

Pick carefully if you want to run Linux. Not all laptops fully function
with Linux, just because the individual drivers are available doesn't
mean it works properly. My last laptop is a Acer Nitro 5 (gaming laptop
with GT1060 video, Core i7, 16GB Ram etc etc). I installed Linux but had
huge problems getting the GeForce working and the battery life is shite.
The battery percentage is like a count down timer.

I just purchased a new laptop and wanted to run Linux Mint.

Brands like HP and Lenovo are the two best for being fully Linux
compliant. Check the compliance lists before buying and Google other
peoples experience before picking.

I just got a HP Envy X360, Ryzen 5, 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD and touchscreen.
I wanted a smaller laptop for development etc. The laptop was $1600
(down from $2200) plus HP has $150 cash back so I think I got a good
deal. I'm still getting suspend to work properly but everything else
works and I get 6+ hours battery life.