[chbot] Unlocking a microSDHC or SDXC card

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Mon Jan 14 12:11:42 GMT 2019

On Mon 14 Jan 2019 22:19:28 NZDT +1300, Helmut Walle wrote:

> I initially thought of that option, too, but dd should refuse
> writing to the card if it's locked, shouldn't it? If that is the
> case, then "special blablasoft" could be exactly what is needed to
> take care of it.

Except that that option of special purpose application was tried and
didn't solve the problem... so might as well stay with simple tools that
have been working forever.

> And I remember some noises from ages ago that Android may sometimes
> be playing with the card in ways that lock it... There was this
> "feature" where you can tell Android to use the card as "internal"
> memory, and that may somehow tie it to the phone in a way that then
> causes issues when trying to use the card like a "normal" card later
> on.

That ties the content of the SD card into what Android calls "internal"
memory. I played with that on a new phone. It looked like Android
encrypts the SD card at the block level, so you can read/write the
hardware just fine in another reader, but don't expect to be able to get
any of your files.