[chbot] ESCs for RC models

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Sun Feb 25 21:14:29 GMT 2018

The Roboclaw devices from Ion Motion Control (http://www.ionmc.com/) do
not meet your cost and avaiability requirements, but might be of
interest to some. I am using the Roboclaw 2x7A. They also have

* brushed DC motors
* dual 7 A continuous, 15 A peak
* up to 34 V DC input
* BEC output
* optional separate controller supply input (or use BEC)
* control via RC inputs, ADC input, or serial commands
* configurable RC input parameters
* over-voltage, over-current, over-temperature detection and cut-off
* optional limit-switch inputs
* optional quadrature shaft-encoder inputs
* speed and position control with separate PID loops for speed and
position with configurable parameters
* can read many parameters (voltage, current, temperature, position,
speed, etc) via serial port
* can configure the most useful parameters via button-LED user
interface, but must use serial port for most

But

* more expensive than you wanted (US$ 70)
* not available locally

This device does what we want (controlled acceleration, speed and
deceleration to move to a sequence of positions), and seem robust. We
have found a few issues which we can accept or work around:

* Strange behaviour if we send a new target position too soon after a
previous target position. Waiting a bit longer (how much longer?)
between target positions seems to work.

* With separate control and motor power supplies, if the motor power
supply is off (eg. emergency stop) and it receives a command that needs
to turn on the motor, it enters an error state. The only way out of the
error state is to reset the device by cycling the control power supply.

* Grotesque Python library to talk to it via the serial interface

Stephen