[chbot] ESCs for RC models

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Feb 24 05:29:58 GMT 2018

That idea should work fine.

The clever bit is to figure out how to source the large drive currents
required to overcome the input capacitance of the output FETs, allowing
the FETs to switch quickly (and not generate heat).

Part 2, is to manage all of the circulating currents so that everything
goes where it is supposed to.

Part 3 is to specify capacitors which can manage 2 above without
overheating, or exploding :)

In all seriousness, have a look around before you climb in :
http://www.robotpower.com/products/osmc_info.html appears to have gone
through quite a few revisions, and may be stable now.

The HIP4081A is a popular H bridge driver, has hi and low side
translation, can deliver a couple of amps gate current, and has an
overlap generator so that top and bottoms FETs do not switch on at the
same time.

A 'typical' output FET may have 5000pF gate capacitance, and for a 10V
change in 100ns will need around 500mA peak. Allowing gate voltage to
change slowly can generate lots of heat (since the FETs will spend time
in their linear region, which is V undesirable).

Anyway, just my 2c

Regards, Mark