[chbot] Home Automation - Curtains

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 03:51:32 BST 2017

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a new thread, as we got away from the relative merits
of Banggood vs DealExtreme.

I am trying to motorise my curtains, particularly as there are six windows
in one room, plus home automation is cool.

So far I have identified a suitable motor and gearbox, 12Vdc supply, 60rpm
output, with good torque and fairly quiet.

At one end the motor, with a 16-tooth GT2 pulley, is attached to the wall
using a purlin bracket (purlin brackets are cool).  At the other, I am
using a sewing-machine bobbin on an M6 bolt as a pulley.

It's early days, but I have tried builder's line, which doesn't stretch,
but does slip.  I have tried fishing line, which does stretch, and slips.

I think GT2 toothed belt would work well, but I haven't tried it yet.

The motor is temporarily connected to a 12V battery for testing.  Later I
will use an ESP8266 with microPython to control the motor.

Finally, I'll link it to home automation software and relax in my chair as
the sun goes down and the curtains gently and quietly close.

That's my plan, but there is plenty of room for alternatives or failure.

The attached link is for a belt clamp and tensioner made from zip-ties,
which I think I will adopt!

Best wishes,

Andrew

http://diyprojects.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/belt-connection-zip-ties.jpg