[chbot] FabLab Christchurch workshops

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Oct 13 18:29:12 BST 2017

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the update of the classes. You are too new to the group to be
aware of this bit of history, so maybe it is a good time for a reminder:

FabLab ** are not ** a 3D print / Laser cutting fab-house - they are a
social enterprise.

Their first priority is to serve education, and to meet their own
financial needs.

Next priority, is to support community projects.

If time permits, they ** may ** be able to support individual projects -
but this needs to be carefully arranged to with them first. Also bear in
mind that these projects may get bumped to the bottom of their priority
list at a moments notice.

Several years ago, they had a significant problem with 'customers'
demanding professional fab-house type response to jobs which they had
accepted on a (very) casual basis.

Please co-ordinate with them by email if there are projects you need
help with.

If you have to visit them on the off chance don't waste their time
chatting, they are busy, and have limited time available.
`
Hope this hasn't turned into a rant, it took quite a bit of effort to
straighten out the points above for FabLab a few years ago.

Regards,

Mark

On 13/10/2017 11:03 PM, Jeremy Reeve wrote:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > I went to investigate the Christchurch FabLab a while back and Nadine
Lucombe who showed us around recently let me know about these events:

https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/3d-printing-workshop-tickets-38747625190?aff=es2

https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/laser-cutting-workshop-tickets-38715288470?aff=es2

https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/arduino-workshop-tickets-38753771574?aff=es2

 > They're intended as introductory workshops and from my understanding
people in this group likely do not occupy that target audience,
nevertheless, they do have a serious laser cutter and it might be of
interest to someone.