[chbot] Power monitoring

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:28:34 GMT 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Mark Beckett <m.beckett at amuri.net> wrote:

> The discussion started with this.
> /I bought an old fridge off Trade Me and it seems to be on //most of the
> time, so I'd like to graph it's usage to see what's going on. Just a single
> socket for a start. Might add more sockets later, but would probably look
> into monitoring the whole house at that point./
> /
> /Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>
>> In contrast, all those arduino projects don't give you any promises, and
>> neither should they, because that'd be lieing^H^H^Hmisleading the user.
>> The absence of any accuracy discussion in any such project is a sure
>> guarantee that it doesn't have any.
>>    What's the point of making a
>> measurement instrument then?
>>
> You use a clamp meter which feeds it's data into the Arduino.
> You use a voltage that is derived from the mains and then measured.
> Most sensible people would verify the figures being supplied to work out
> the accuracy and adjust it accordingly, so where is the problem?.

Quite.

As originally scoped, it would seem that 10% or even 20% would make the
original poster happier than a bunny with two carrots.

External variables such as room temperature, what's in the fridge, what's
on top of the fridge, what's underneath the fridge, how often
it is opened, are going to make any measurements better than 10% rather
contrived.

No need for 5 star accuracy here. Often 1 star is more than enough!