[chbot] Homebrew powerwall

Andy ZL3AG zl3ag at radioengineering.com
Sat Oct 1 22:55:58 BST 2016

The amount of time and money he spent building up those modules! Once in those big packs the time spent in maintenance is huge as well, when one cell goes south. The only thing going for them is compactness (but that might cause heat problems?) and good looks. I'm still not convinced directly soldering onto the battery is a good idea either.

The opposite end of the spectrum would be using individual battery holders - easier to maintain single cells, but takes up a lot more space and expensive to buy all the holders.

What we need to do is come up with a racking system that is cheap to build (from readily available surplus components) that allows you to hot-swap single batteries or smaller modules (say 1 x 10 arrays) or maybe a system where you can individually test batteries in situ. Almost like leaving the batteries in the original laptop configuration and using the existing connectors to hook them into the system.

One option would be to design a combined busbar/ battery end clip (springy type). I've tried to find them on aliexpress etc but haven't managed to so far. Sort of like in a multi-battery charger, but the batteries are all bussed together.