[chbot] Live video stream

Stephen Irons stephen.irons at clear.net.nz
Sun Jan 17 05:14:04 GMT 2016

We did not go ahead with the live video stream for the following reasons:

   - no-one local was willing and able to set-up, baby-sit and pack-down
   the video equipment
   - no-one local was willing and able to do any editing or other
   post-production
   - the few remote viewers would not have watched a live stream, due to
   time-zone differences

On the day of the event, there was a howling north-easter, with unoccupied
garden seats blowing around. Unattended video equipment would have
suffered. We did have audio reinforcement which worked well, although there
was quite a bit of wind-noise despite wind-shield on the mics. It was not
workth recording the audio.

I did play around with YouTube live streaming. There was no obvious minimum
viewer requirement. It worked fine with OBS (Open Broadcasting Software)
running on an Ubuntu 14.04 box. A mobile phone had adequate bandwidth to
stream the video to the server, but not enough for a live monitor at the
same time. I thought it strange, because one is mostly uplink, the other
downlink. Watching the stream on a different computer with an independent
connection to the internet worked fine, as expected.

I would certainly consider YouTube live streaming for a future event. It
was easy for a suitably experienced person to set up, but not for Grandma.

Stephen Irons