[chbot] Traffic lights and bluetooth Samsung.

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Sep 7 22:15:32 BST 2015

On Tue 08 Sep 2015 07:43:59 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

> The value does not live up to the hype.  Where is the huge benefit in
> having your washing machine being able to tweet your fridge?
>
> Remember the clocks on VCRs in the 80s? Just flashing 00-00. People are
> generally not going to configure their iWashingMachine which either a waste
> of resources or a hacker's paradise.

I'm not so sure. Everything is moving off your computer and into the
cloud. "Cloud" means large international/American corporations with a
very strong financial interest to make things "user friendly" so that
they can configure your washing machine for you. And once they have
everything under their control, I mean in their cloud, you're screwed, I
mean wide open for exploitation, or is that a happy consumer on the path
of least resistance laid by corporate remote control?