[chbot] Meccano Meccanoid

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:43:48 BST 2015

About to hit our shelves.... No. They've been on the shelves for a few
weeks now. I saw a pile of them at GlobalPC when I went there about 2 weeks
ago, and yesterday.

At this stage "programming" seems to just be remote control. See
http://www.meccano.com/meccanoid-programming. Sad if that's what people
think is "programming" in today's world.

As for Open Source Programming. All they say is
Open Source Programming: Communication protocols will be made openly
available on our website"

That sounds a bit like the Lego BT stack that provided a remote API for
controlling their devices. No mention of actually programming the device
itself.

I expect that if you really want to get inside this thing, it will need a
complete reverse engineering exercise like I did with the Lejos project for
Lego NXT.