[chbot] [OT] Marketing vs Engineering - the Intel x86

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Oct 16 00:38:44 BST 2015

Hello all,

Way back in the mists of time, Intel released (in my opinion) one of the
worst computer architectures known to man (or to least me).

At the time, their product was being beaten into the ground by the Mot
68000, and the Zilog Z8000.

Then Intel launched the 'Crush' programme - a massive Marketing assault
on the newly created processor industry.

This is quite a long video, and there are some smart people behind this
attack. They discuss lots of details including strategy and tactics of
this offensive, including hiring and motivating staff, along with
performance metrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvCzdeDoPzg

Not sure this directly relates to robotics, but it can be useful to pop
your head out of the trenches occasionally and see what some of the rest
of the world are up to, and how.

Hopefully see you Monday eve at BR05.

-Mark