[chbot] Live video stream

Stephen Irons stephen.irons at clear.net.nz
Tue Dec 1 22:56:53 GMT 2015

It took 30 minutes to

   - read the youtube help on live streaming
   - create a stream event on youtube
   - download and install OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) on my PC
   - configure OBS to capture video and audio and send it to youtube
   - watch the event using a different web browser (but on the same PC)

Have to do some Real Work now, but it looks promising, provided that I can
satisfy myself that:

   - the event can be relatively private (invitation only, or at not
   advertised and unlisted)
   - the event can be completely free of adverts; I suspect this will be a
   pay-for privilege

Other factors

   - 3 hours at 1.5 MBits/sec is 2 Gbytes. Allowing for 25% streaming
   overhead gives 2.5 GBytes. Have to get a data addon: 2 degrees charges 50c
   per MB for casual data usage (for a total of $1200!), but offer a 3 GB data
   addon for $50, or about 1.7c / MB
   - you standard USB data modem advertises 21 Mbits per sec, which should
   be enough to carry 2--2.5 Mbits per sec for the media stream

OBS knows how to stream to other broadcasting services, so now I have a few
other alternative to investigate:

   - Twitch (apparently popular with gamers: rather than playing, you can
   watch others play)
   - hitbox.tv
   - beam.pro
   - DailyMotion
   - Livecoding.tv

Thank you for the pointer to broadcast services: I thought there must be
some available, but was obviously searching for the wrong thing.

Stephen