[chbot] Live video stream

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Tue Dec 1 11:10:30 GMT 2015

> We have a family celebration coming up in January, and want to be able to
> provide a live audio and video stream from the event for people who cannot
> be there.
>
> I have the following available:
>
>    - Video camera with microphone input, microphone, and AV capture device
>    that are compatible with V4L2
>    - Laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 desktop
>    - Mobile data modem
>    - Low-spec VPS (2 core, 4G RAM, 1 Gbps network connection, 5 TB
>    bandwidth per month) running Ubuntu 10.04 server
>
> The plan would be for the laptop to capture the audio and video which will
> send it to the server. Absent family and friends can then connect to the
> server, preferably using a web browser, to watch the proceedings. There
> will probably be 4 or 5 families watching from around the world.

mjpg_streamer will certainly do the video OK and the data rate is
adjustable, darkice can capture the audio and send it onto an icecast2
server but I'm not sure getting the video to the icecast boxen.

About combining them at the far end - the remote users may need to open 2
browser tabs - one for video, one for audio.

There are also methods in html5 (getUserMedia()  comes to mind) for
handling webcams etc.

--
Robin Gilks