[chbot] TCS3200 anyone?

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Apr 12 04:29:49 BST 2015

On Sat 11 Apr 2015 19:25:03 NZST +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:

>  * Nothing in the GPL stops me from selling stuff

Yes so. Unless you make sources available on request the copyright owner
can stop you easily from selling by getting injunctions in any
jurisdiction with any bite. On top of it you run the risk of having your
products seized on import because of illegal distribution of copyrighted
material. Until you have supplied source code when requested you have no
license to distribute. Very simple. It's your risk not to have sources
ready to give out before shipping...

>  * The source code does NOT need to be available online

True. So what. Feel free to burn CDs and collect money if you want to
look like a twat...

>  * The source code does NOT need to be available before a product is shipped

The second you ship and don't make sources available when requested you
are infringing copyright because you failed to comply with the license
terms and thus your license is null and void.

>  * It does NOT need to be supplied to all and sundry.

Wrong. The copyright holder gives a license to the public to modify and
sell, on conditions. Those conditions do not restrict to anything less
than the public.

There's also the issue of really peeving off the copyright holder whos
work your business is using, in public, because that kind of news
travels fast.