[chbot] TCS3200 anyone?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:30:53 BST 2015

On 09/04/15 22:09, Robin Gilks wrote:
[...]
> I'm thinking more like a channel sorter but with only 1 or 2 channels
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_sorting#Channel_Sorters
> provided I can get the angle such that the nuts aren't going too fast past
> the detector.
>
> Rather than providing a compressor, I'm thinking more solenoid driven flap
> that steers nuts to one of 2-3 destinations.
>
> Still the problem of getting a steady flow of nuts onto a conveyor or
> channel shute without them bridging over the outlet of a hopper.
>
> I feel a cardboard model coming on...

A definite thumbs-up on cardboard models! In a few weeks, it can then
serve as kindling for the log burner.

A couple of commercially made sorters that are also being advertised as
suitable for walnuts for reference:

http://www.insort.at/media/images/freefall_sorter/Freefall%20Sorter%20Information%20sheet%20English%201.01.pdf

https://www.tomra.com/en/solutions-and-products/sorting-solutions/food/sorting-equipment/nimbus

They are both free-fall sorters, and actually looking at the way they
operate, at least the Nimbus works on nuts that have already been
cracked open, so that it mostly sorts the shell from the nut fragments.
Just for clarification, do you want to sort the whole nuts as they are
coming out of the washer? Or are you cracking them open as well before
sorting?

Kind regards,

Helmut.