[chbot] Contemplating the purchase of a (cheap) inspection microscope

Michael Field hamster at snap.net.nz
Sun Sep 28 03:21:13 BST 2014

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure if you do the same same sort of stuff as me (0603, down to
0.5mm pitch on headers), but here is what I do...

I find it easiest to use a Jaycar Illuminated magnifying desk lamp for
assembly (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=QM3544), then check
it afterwards with the USB microscope, and nudge things into alignment.
The intensity of light helps greatly with seeing what I am up to, and
there is zero lag.

My USB microscope is fine for inspection - have a look at
http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/images/4/4e/Solder_bridge.jpg . That
image is clipped from a US$64 "SUPEREYES USB 2.0MP 300X Digital
Microscope" from dx.com. If you try to use it for actually working on
the board it is pretty poor. You can only use 640x480 or 800x600 before
it has slow frame rate or the lag gets too bad. You wouldn't want to be
guiding a hot iron with it when using higher resolutions. It is not so
much this microscope, but I guess this is because USB 2.0 tops out at
around 35MB/s, but a full 1080p frames @ 60Hz needs about 450MB/s if it
isn't compressed or 422. The microscope's three-legged tripod is junk,
it is light weight so too unstable, but it fits in a case about the size
of a thick paperback book. and hides out the way. You are more than
welcome to borrow it if you want.

I am thinking of replacing my microscope with yet another - I have seen
/ heard OK things about these US$50 microscopes :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/500x-8LED-HD-2MP-USB-microscope-Aopute-Digital-Microscope-usb-magnifier-Camera-Metal-Stand-Base-pcb/1989562116.html
in particular
http://www.eevblog.com/2014/01/07/eevblog-566-cheap-usb-microscope-reviews/
made is seem OK - 40mm or so of clearance. Have a look around 17min in
the video.

Mike