[chbot] 'Printing' an enclosure

m.beckett at amuri.net m.beckett at amuri.net
Wed Sep 17 04:10:47 BST 2014

Robin

Why go so large.

One of the arduino mini/nano and I2C LCD
display will be much smaller.

For the display mounting we cut an
oversized piece of clear acrylic, and fitted countersunk screws (ie
between the acrylic and enclosure.

This got silicone onto the
enclosure, and provided a watertight seal, that was extremely hard to
pull off or poke in.

This eliminates the 3D printed enclosure, but
does require some neat cutting and filing of the opening.....

Mark

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:00:20 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:

> Greetings
all

> I'm looking to update the window opener/min-max thermometer on
my tunnel
> house and rather than using an AVR Butterfly as at present,
I thought a
> standard Arduino with a 16x2 lcd shield with buttons would
be a good place
> to start.
>
> Knowing there are several members of
the group with 3D printers, perhaps
> they could advise me on material
costs to knock up something like the
> following:
>
> There seems to be
several designs on thingyverse for a box, but I was
> wondering how easy
(or otherwise) it would be to print a top for a
> standard Jaycar/Sicom
box to allow mounting of the display but keep the
> bulk of the
enclosure in cheap(ish) ABS injection moulded form. Perhaps as
> a flush
mounting on top of the existing box such that a slight mismatch in

size doesn't matter (i.e. more an escutcheon rather than a complete

panel).