[chbot] 'Printing' an enclosure

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Wed Sep 17 04:00:20 BST 2014

Greetings all

I'm looking to update the window opener/min-max thermometer on my tunnel
house and rather than using an AVR Butterfly as at present, I thought a
standard Arduino with a 16x2 lcd shield with buttons would be a good place
to start.

Knowing there are several members of the group with 3D printers, perhaps
they could advise me on material costs to knock up something like the
following:

There seems to be several designs on thingyverse for a box, but I was
wondering how easy (or otherwise) it would be to print a top for a
standard Jaycar/Sicom box to allow mounting of the display but keep the
bulk of the enclosure in cheap(ish) ABS injection moulded form. Perhaps as
a flush mounting on top of the existing box such that a slight mismatch in
size doesn't matter (i.e. more an escutcheon rather than a complete
panel).

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks