[chbot] Heard about the FTDI caper?

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 27 22:06:26 GMT 2014

On Mon 27 Oct 2014 15:38:02 NZDT +1300, Peter Ellens wrote:

> You can also un brick them on Linux.
>
> http://www.minipwner.com/index.php/unbrickftdi000

Very good.

http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/download.php

Note that a newer version 0.3 is no listed, but avilable:
http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/download/ftdi_eeprom-0.3.tar.gz
http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/download/ftdi_eeprom-0.3-1.src.rpm

> The Chinese ch340 USB to serial that was recently being heckled is
> looking better and better.

Depends. Not of it doesn't work under Linux. Does it? Did you try?

I ordered some of the FTDI nanos from ebay. 3 Possibilities: 1) They
contain original FTDI chips and I don't have a problem. 2) They contain
fakes, and I can ask ebay to return my money. 3) The seller is an idiot
and they contain CH340G chips. I'll plug it in and let you know. However
a good assessment of whether that chip is a complete replacement for
FTDI includes pumping data at max speed and for 2 months. Rumour has it
the prolifics aren't so hot on this one. The CH340G was said to say a
modified prolific.