[chbot] Heard about the FTDI caper?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:27:36 GMT 2014

Oh I love the broken analogies that we're seeing here.

There is nothing preventing anyone else going through the process that FTDI
did: get their own VID:PID, write their own drivers and have them added to
Microsoft's driver data base. This does, of course, take time, effort and
cost money.

The car analogy is broken. A more fitting one would be that the after
market parts were marked "Genuine Toyota" and that all service should be
provided by Toyota. When Toyota detects this, they stop providing service
for these parts. People then get annoyed with Toyota when they should
really be getting annoyed with the part provider.

I do agree that many of these peripherals are overpriced when compared to
what else is on offer. Why use a Microchip MPC2515 for CAN connectivity
when you can get a cheaper micro that does the job better, for less?