[chbot] Heard about the FTDI caper?

Peter Ellens ellensp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 02:46:55 GMT 2014

If they had simply said, sorry this is a fake FTDI and refused to work,
I would agree with you.

But they don’t. They deliberately go out of their way to 'break' the
fake FTDI chip, no warning or anything.

This is malicious and probably illegal, wilful property damage comes to
mind..

The main issus is that 95% of consumers have no idea there was even fake
chips, let alone that they had one. And it;s the customer this is
punishing. The seller of the chips doesn’t care, they already have the
money from the consumer.