[chbot] {Off topic} HRV is it worth it?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:17:37 BST 2014

On 14/10/14 20:48, Mike Barnes wrote:
> Hi team
>
> What are peoples thoughts on an HRV system?
> The wife is convinced we need one after the woman's expo.
>
> [...] heat pump [...]

Hi Mike,

a pretty impressive collection of "peoples' thoughts" on HRV systems are
available here:
http://www.communityenergy.org.nz/how-effective-are-dvs-and-similar-systems-feedback-welcome/

A general question to answer, in order to take a good decision: do you
need heat or ventilation, or both? These HRV systems (the duct / fan
parts only) do not generate heat, they just move air around, either
between rooms, or between the attic and the rooms inside the house.
Whether that is an effective approach to heating the rooms depends on
many things, including the build of the house including roof, and also
available heat sources. A heat pump on the other hand provides a lot of
heat but little ventilation (except for the little bit of air flow
within the room where it is installed, unless you have a ducted system
in the roof that takes care of heat and air flows).

Kind regards,

Helmut.