[chbot] Proposal, RASPOG - (Robotics Android SPin Off Group)

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue May 27 09:07:25 BST 2014

On Tue 27 May 2014 17:08:20 NZST +1200, Spencer Travers wrote:

> Volker, have you considered a Nexus android device? These are designed for
> development and can be rooted without any software hacks. You just need to
> hold a special key combination when powering up the device. They are more
> expensive than the cheap Chinese phones though. I have a Galaxy Nexus that
> is a couple of years old now and I have found it very good. Also, you just
> get 'vanilla' android without any manufacturer specific crapware. As the
> reference android hardware they are also well supported by apps.

No I didn't consider any Nexus, but have not checked recently. IIRC they
had extra google rubbish - bonus if not. Didn't know they go root by holding
buttons (can that be disabled later?).

> Cheap, easily rooted, full featured hardware - pick any two!

Well I have the first two ;-) The lack of a microSD card slot is cr*ppy,
not full featured. The radio performance IIRC was also pretty lousy in
some models. The nexus hardware is not unconditionally always better. I
like dual-SIM. And no USB-OTG in nexus?!??

Thanks for pointing out the option!