[chbot] solar roads

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sun May 25 20:53:50 BST 2014

I pretty much agree with Geoffrey

While flat panel PV is now getting to around the $1/W mark and is getting
viable for more and more applications, trying to PV a road throws up a
bunch more challenges.

Engineering is the Art of Compromise. Whenever you have to take on new
operational parameters you need to give something else away. PV is hard
enough to make work on rooftops, let alone on the road.

A few points Geoffrey did not raise:
* These need to be rugged. That means thicker materials. That means
expensive and lower light penetration, therefore lower efficency.
* The ideas they put forth here are strange: (eg. Sidewalks covered in the
stuff, shaded by cherry trees.)
* Roads are dirty places.
* Roads and parking lots are busier when the sun shines. That reduces their
efficiency by a healthy factor.

Looks like a scam site really, gathering funding for something that has a
lot of "buzz" but is low in utility.

PV is fine for a few % of power, but really has little or no potential to
be a major (greater than 20%) contributor to power. As long as people want
power at night, there will need to be more mainstream generation. That
means the mainstream plants need to be built. Large thermal plants like to
maintain steady loads - to be efficient anyway - and putting PV on the grid
messes with that.