[chbot] Long distance data link, advice from the guru's please

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Sat May 10 11:11:44 BST 2014

Hm, where do we start...? Maybe at "There's no free lunch in
telecommunications."

Let's get some of the basics sorted first:

* Required average bandwidth > 4 GB / week; so that would be at least 53
kbps flat tack. But probably they want quite a bit more; otherwise they
   would just be happy with the satellite link. To make matters worse,
they probably want a momentarily much higher rate, so that they don't have
   to sit around waiting for uploading a few pictures. In any case, you
should find out how much bandwidth they really want (or need) per week or
   month, and _also_ whether there are any momentary (as opposed to
per-period) bandwidth expectations. The existing satellite link would
   probably be the very minimum in both regards.

* Masts - actually a couple of 90 m masts (one each for the two ends of
the link) wouldn't even properly get you line of sight at 110 km
distance. I think
   this is a modest requirement. But obviously it costs. If you want to
get away without masts you basically have a few other options:
   * Use a wavelength that follows the curvature of the Earth. But the
trouble with that is that you are looking at lower frequencies and bands
that may be
     getting a bit narrow and crowded for hauling serious amounts of
data. Nevertheless, discuss this with a digital radio amateur!
   * Use something cable-based - which probably won't fly for cost reasons.
   * Use a tropo-scatter link, where the troposphere essentially
replaces your mast: you transmit from ground level, the signal bounces
off the troposphere,
     and your also ground-level receiver just looks at the area of the
troposphere targeted by the transmitter. This technology works fine for
a distance of
    110 km, but it does require a fairly high transmit power and usually
pretty large antennae. In other words, the two 90 m masts might just be less
    costly. I am also not sure whether there are any readily available
integrated solutions available on the market. But if there are they will
cost. And
    you definitely don't want to operate this kind of transmit power
without a license! (Not that you should transmit at any lesser power
level without a
    license either for that matter.)
   * Moon bounce is only available when the moon is above the horizon
for both end points, and is also not practical for other reasons. But it
must be
     listed for completeness.
   * Use the mail plane that comes by once a fortnight (or whatever the
schedule is, I don't know) and ship a crate full of locally burnt DVDs
via snail mail.
     This will quite easily beat the bandwidth of the satellite link by
several orders of magnitude, however at the expense of incurring some
latency for
     the users who arrived early in the cycle. Probably not what they
want...

Ok, so where does that leave us? Well, as I said, no free lunch... but
have all options using already existing infrastructure been looked at
thoroughly yet? There probably isn't anything wire-based at all there?
Cellular networks? Ok, there's still the satellite service that they
already have.
How about simply getting a second satellite modem to double the
bandwidth? Would they even need a second modem? Or could they just buy more
bandwidth over the already existing link? Possibly not - but if they
can't then the 2nd-modem solution would give them twice the bandwidth at
twice the cost. The satellite service provider should know what can be
done there, and how.

Hope this helps somehow.

Kind regards,

Helmut.